When I open an Office document within IE the parent process is Winlogon

When I open an Office document within IE the parent process is Winlogon in XP

It uses urlmon.dll to communicate with Internet Explorer using this COM Clsids:

{79eac9e0-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}

{79eac9e2-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}

{79eac9e3-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}

{79eac9e5-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}

{79eac9e6-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}

{79eac9e7-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}

{79EAC9F1-BAF9-11CE-8C82-00AA004BA90B}

{79eac9f2-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}


It's very strange but I found this behavior looking for a bug. Internet Explorer and Winlogon instance some of these objects and they should use the same urlmon.dll library. If they instance different versions the communication fails and the document cannot be opened. Internet Explorer throws a silent exception (unknown exception) and it shows the:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" screen.
Comments